brief timeline

1885: It all begins!
  • 1885: St. John's Episcopal Mission in Forestville began.
  • 1885 - 1887: Met in Firemen's Hall for worship.
  • 1887-1901: Met at Bethesda Swedish Lutheran Church for worship.
1900s: First Building
  • 1900:: Ground broken on Academy Street, Forestville.
  • 1901: First church consecrated on June 20.
1960s and 1970s: Moved to Bristol
  • 1961: Moved to current location on Stafford Avenue, Bristol. All purpose room, originally used as sanctuary, dedicated.
  • 1965: Education wing added.
  • 1977: Mortgage paid.
2000-2009: Decade of Highs and Lows
  • 2001: Built addition of new sanctuary. Costs exceeded estimates.
  • 2003-2006: Conflict within Episcopal Church over issue of ordination of gay bishop in New Hampshire. 
                - Priest and many members left St. John's over this issue.
                - The Episcopal Diocese of Connecticut helped remaining St. John's members continue                                       God's mission in Bristol.

2010s:  Continue following Jesus in Bristol
  • 2013: Rainbow Flag - After numerous Vestry meeting and Congregational Discussions, the decision was made to hang the rainbow flag to show that All Are Welcome!

Click here for more details on timeline.